Tori's vintage tale! | tori's tales: Tori's vintage tale!

4 April 2013

Tori's vintage tale!


Before I update you on my last day at home, ridiculously late as ever, I wanted to post about my happy purchase today! For weeks I've been looking, albeit not very successfully (I get more than a little frustrated with myself after only minutes of searching due to my general ineptitude in being able to find anything!) for a dress to wear to the wedding of two of my wonderful friends in May. Over the past few days I had picked up the pace of my search online (alongside help from a very sweet and patient Paige, who searched high and low for me, and put up with my fussiness on multiple occasions without any complaints - what a bloody good friend she is!) but decided that I would today venture into town to see if I could find anything in the vintage stores in Hockley (an artsy/quirky area of the city centre that’s around a 5 minute walk from our flat). After a quick detour through town, I popped in a couple of stores (I shan't name names) but their staff weren't particularly helpful, or friendly, and as a result made me feel fairly unwilling to spend my money there. Feeling a little disheartened, I thought I'd make my way home, however, changed my mind when walking past 'A Vintage Obsession' and spying a rather eye-catching collection of floral dresses hanging inside. Mustering up the enthusiasm for one final look of the day, I pushed open it's door and was promptly welcomed with a happy 'hello' from the lovely lady working there - staff of the other (nearby) stores take note! Flicking through the floral's, my eye was caught by a dress hung on a rail a little further away from me and after feasting my eyes on its prettiness from afar, I knew I had to go over and take a closer look. Finding it there, at that moment, felt rather right - the style is one I had been admiring throughout my search - and I knew I had to try it on despite it’s price being a little out of my budget. As soon as I zipped it up (pinching some skin along the way, ouch!) I fell instantly in love with the way it looked and fit. I spent a few minutes debating whether or not I should make the purchase, or try again another day (I was still unsure of the price and had also noticed a little vintage 'wear and tear' - expected, but I was thrown by it all the same) but after making my worries known to the lady, she offered me a discounted price (I think she may have had a fair amount of previous interest because she mentioned people had come away saying the dress was lovely but the waist too small, thank goodness for me!) and I almost bit her hand off with my rather enthusiastic ‘oh, go on then!’. Yay!! I am now the proud owner of a 1950's evening dress! Here's a sneaky peek...


4 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad you found a dress that you love and that there was a helpful sales person to help you!! Rude customer service always makes me want to leave with out buying anything too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you love! Yes, it's truly awful. I think the more polite/friendly you are the more likely it is the people who come into your shop etc. will stick around and actually have a good look a things. Because she said hello, and I mentioned to her that she had been the only person to do so on my trip, I felt comfortable having a look around!

      Delete
  2. Man, so jealous, that street sounds awesome. Not that their attitude is, but hey ho keep your head down and shop I suppose it will be fine. I am so happy you found the right dress and thanks for the mention. made me laugh your fussiness more than annoying hun, really it is no trouble, you should know I love procrastinating AND window shopping :P anyway, lovely post, almost teasing not uploading a photo of the dress!! am a sensing a possible outfit post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I might, but at the same time I think I'd like to keep it until the wedding! The street is lovely, well, the whole area is. There's little independent cafe's and an independent cinema, as well as the vintage shops :) I'm happy too, I really do appreciate all your help - I know I am ridiculous! Haha, procrastinating by window shopping is a great combination!! xxx

      Delete

To my fabulous Tori's Tales comment'ers - I cherish each and every comment you take the time to leave me and, because of that, I reply to each and every one in return. If you have a Twitter account, then that's where you'll find me replying (because, let's be honest, I live on Twitter. In Twitter. Around Twitter. Twitter). If you don't then fear not, because a) this means you don't say stuff like the things above and b) I'll find you elsewhere.......
(*creeps you all out*)